Brighton Dome and Festival - Historical Research Volunteer
The Grade I listed Brighton Dome has had many guises over its 200-year history. We are looking for volunteers to help us uncover some of the hidden histories of these iconic buildings through an in-depth research project. Your research will directly contribute to material that appears in the newly re-opened Corn Exchange and Studio theatre and in future exhibitions.
Research Volunteers will be looking at a number of stories around the architecture of Brighton Dome and Corn Exchange, from the ancient history of the land and its use as a Quaker burial ground to the individual stories of the grooms, stable-hands and servants of the Prince’s Royal Stables, to the Regency era’s fascination with the ‘East’ and ‘Orientalism’.
The Historical Research Volunteers will:
• Look through existing Brighton Dome and Festival research including notes, documents and images, and pull together this material in one place.
• Carry out independent research: Online / at libraries / using books / using documents and images from the Royal Pavilion and Museums, and Brighton Dome and Festival
• Work with specialist staff at Brighton Dome and Festival and at the Royal Pavilion and Museums and provide updates on their work.
• The role could include future visits to The Keep at Falmer, and the Royal Pavilion and Brighton Museum to look through their resources.
• Present your work to the public at our Heritage Open Day and Remembrance Day events
Applicants for this role should have the following skills, experience and attributes:
• an Interest in Brighton, Brighton Dome, The Royal Pavilion Estate and/or Regency History
•Ability to work independently
• Ability to use a PC and basic computer skills and programmes including Word and Excel
• Experience in basic research skills (desirable)
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Aged over 18 (for insurance purposes)
Brighton Dome and Festival
- Arts, Heritage and Entertainment
- Civic Responsibility and Communities
- No specific interest
- Administration and Office
- Computers, IT and Websites
- Local Events
- Age/Gender Restrictions
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Support on Offer
When: 05/07/2018 - 31/12/2018
Further information about availability
• Suggested Commitment: 3 - 6 hours per week in August and September (hours can be flexible as agreed with the Volunteer Coordination Manager) • Volunteer from home and/or in the Brighton Dome and Festival Administration Offices :12a, Pavilion Buildings, Castle Square, Brighton, BN1 1EE. • Deadline for applications is Wednesday 18th July • Interviews will take place on Monday 23rd July • Volunteers induction Thursday 9th August • Heritage Open Day Presentations (Optional) 15th September • Remembrance Day Activities 11th November (Optional)
Benefits to the volunteer
• Develop research, internet, computer and presentation skills
• Opportunity to gain, or put to good use your skills and experience to uncover hidden stories of Brighton's iconic Royal Pavilion Estate, working alongside Brighton Dome and Festival, and Royal Pavilion staff.
• Contribute to heritage and history material for the newly re-opened Brighton Dome and Corn Exchange and future exhibitions.
• You can volunteer from home and/or in the Brighton Dome and Festival Administration Offices:12a, Pavilion Buildings, Castle Square, Brighton, BN1 1EE.
• Occasionally volunteers may visit Brighton Jubilee Library, The Royal Pavilion and Museums and The Keep at Falmer. (Travel expenses will be reimbursed for trips outside the city centre up to £5).
• This opportunity is available immediately and has the potential to be ongoing.
• Expectation: 8 hours per week in August and September (hours can be flexible as agreed with the Volunteer Coordination Manager)
Where possible, we offer volunteering opportunities with support for disabled people and people with additional support need
BDBF have recently achieved Level 1 of the Disability Confident scheme and are currently working towards level 2. For volunteers with disabilities we would offer support around reasonable adjustments to enable them to take on volunteering opportunities with us. If you have any access requirements please describe:
This opportunity is available
More Opportunities from Brighton Dome and Festival
There are no more opportunities from this organisation.