Patient participation groups
Patient participation is about patients working with health professionals to:
- improve communication between patients, doctors and health services
- put patients at the centre of their health care
- increase patient satisfaction
Patient Participation Group (PPG)
A Patient Participation Group (PPG) is a group of patients and carers of patients who use a particular doctor’s surgery and who volunteer together to:
- provide a collective patient voice
- assist the surgery to communicate with patients using the surgery
- work with the surgery and others to meet the needs of the wider community and improve health outcomes
PPGs in Brighton and Hove
All surgery’s must have a PPG – it is a requirement of the contract that they have with B&H CCG. PPGs can take different forms. Some are virtual and do not meet face-to-face, they communicate instead through email and social media. Others meet regularly and plan activities. They work directly with the manager of a surgery and with doctors and nurses, and help to ensure that the surgery can be the best that it can.
Read more about what PPGs in the city have achieved over the last year:
The Clinical Commissioning Group in Brighton and Hove, publish a newsletter four times a year. It has loads of useful information in there for your PPG. Read the latest edition.
Support for PPGs
We can support your PPG to grow and to develop. We can help in lots of different ways:
- we run a small grants scheme for PPGs to support your work
- we have a toolkit for PPGs in the process of setting themselves up, see more below
- we also have a toolkit for PPGs on making the most of social media, see more below
- we provide training to help you learn new skills and increase your knowledge about how to run a successful PPG
- we connect you to other PPGs so you can gain support and work with them
- we support you in your role as a volunteer
Join us as a member
If your PPG is led by volunteers and operates in Brighton, Hove, Adur or Worthing, then you can join us as a member. Members benefit from exclusive access to some of our services.
Toolkits for PPGs
Setting up and maintaining your group
We’ve developed a toolkit to help PPGs. It includes guidance on:
- how to promote your PPG
- how to recruit new members
- how to write good minutes
- template terms of reference
- template ground rules
- template equality statement and guidelines
The Toolkit (PDF) is for PPGs who are setting themselves up or in the early stages of developing.
Using and growing your presence on social media
We’ve also developed a toolkit to help PPGs make the most of social media. The Toolkit (PDF) is for PPGs who are setting themselves up on social media or who want to grow their presence on social media.
To find out more about how we can help your PPG to grow and develop, get in touch with us on email@example.com or 01273 234023.
How to join your PPG
If you’re interested in joining your doctor’s surgery’s PPG ask about it at their reception desk. They should be able to tell you about their PPG, give you their PPG’s contact details and let you know if and when they will next meet.