Hiring Employees and Self-employed Workers – what you need to know, 15 July
We are running a session in partnership with Fiona Martin, Director and Head of Employment Law at Martin Searle Solicitors.
Staff recruitment can be an intensive and expensive process taking up time and resources, with lots of potential to get things wrong. This session will enable you to make an informed decision as to whether to employ someone or to hire a freelancer and the steps you will need to consider when taking on staff.
By the end of the session you will understand:
- the difference between an employee, a worker and a self-employed contractor, and what kind of contract and working patterns you need to set up to establish their status
- the pros and cons of employing someone directly versus hiring a self-employed contractor or using an agency employment law legislation that applies to workers as well as employees
- the tax rules so that your company is not liable for any underpayment
- considerations when hiring your first employee
You will be asked to submit any questions in advance of the session during registration so we can ensure Fiona covers what you need to know.
Date: Thursday 15 July, 10.30-12.00pm
|Organisations Annual Income||Members||Non-members*|
* Organisations who are not members of ours, but who are a charity or community group operating in in Adur, Worthing, Brighton or Hove.
Bursary places are available to groups with an income of less than £35,000 per year.
Venue: online via Zoom – you will be sent a link after registration
Book: via eventbrite
See our training terms and conditions for more information.
NEXT | Fundraising training