Volunteer Scooter Driver
Brighton's well loved
mobility scooter hire service needs new volunteer drivers to help it get its
fleet out and about to customers. Based in Churchill Square shopping centre,
volunteers are fully trained in how the scooters and powered wheelchairs work,
so no prior knowledge is needed.
The role provides a vital service for disabled people who want to get around the city but who don't have their own equipment. It also means the service can be offered at low cost, making it as accessible as possible. It's just £5 a day to hire.
When a scooter is hired, the volunteers either meet the hirer at the Shopmobility office, or drive the scooter to a pre-arranged, city centre collection point. Volunteers might also collect scooters at the end of the day and return them to the office.
Volunteers are asked to commit to just one shift per week, either in the morning or in the afternoon.
- Provide a citywide accessible Shopmobility service to customers by driving mobility scooters to and from customers at convenient locations around the city.
- To be based in Brighton city centre on call for at least 3 hours per week between Monday to Friday 10-1pm or 1-4pm.
- Be prepared to travel between the two satellite sites in the centre of Brighton; these are based at Churchill Square and London Road.
- To give instruction to customers on using equipment.
- To deliver and/or collect equipment to and from central Brighton locations.
- The ability to learn and feel confident driving a mobility scooter.
- A friendly and approachable nature.
- A commitment to the provision of quality services and support for disabled people.
- A preparedness to make a regular time commitment.
- A commitment to the principles of equal opportunities for all service users.
- A friendly and supportive telephone manner.
- An ability to use one's own initiative.
Possability People (formerly The Fed Centre for Independent Living)
- Fitness and Sport
- Older People
- Supporting Charities
- Disabled Access
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
- Support on Offer
When: 06/12/2017 - 06/06/2018
Based in Brighton City Centre on call for at least 3hrs.
Benefits of the Opportunity:
- Supporting disabled people to live independently
- Training & Support
- New skills
Please telephone for directions.
This opportunity is available
More Opportunities from Possability People (formerly The Fed Centre for Independent Living)
There are no more opportunities from this organisation.