Older People's Volunteer Befrienders (Brighton and Hove)
Chronic loneliness affects hundreds of older people living in our City. The impact of isolation can lead to early loss of life. A few hours per month could help reduce isolation and improve well-being. Do something rewarding - contact us today!
Did you know?
That 800,000 older people living in the UK feel chronically lonely?
That loneliness and isolation is known to be a greater risk to health than smoking?
That hundreds of older people living in Brighton and Hove consider the television as their main source of company?
That simply finding time to talk with an older person through a befriending scheme is proven to improve quality of life?
Would you like to make a difference in someone's life?
Do you have a spare hour every week or fortnight?
If the answer is YES then please contact the scheme coordinator for a volunteer information pack today.
Some Benefits of this Opportunity:
- Improve life-chances and the general well-being of an older person who feels isolated & lonely.
- Ongoing training: communication skills, mental health awareness, safeguarding vulnerable adults.
- Be part of a team of individuals and agencies who are working towards reducing loneliness and social isolation across the City of Brighton and Hove.
We are looking for volunteers who have a heart for older people.
- Good communication skills are essential, however we do offer basic communication and listening skills training to all of our volunteers.
- Experience of working with older people would be an advantage.
Training and recruitment info:
Volunteer Application Form and Volunteer Information Pack sent to volunteer.
Volunteer Application Form returned and assessed against Time to Talk Befriending criteria. References will be applied for within 2 weeks.
DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) form emailed to volunteer to complete and return by email prior to Induction.
Volunteer invited to attend Induction Training session, a group session of about 2 hours for up to 10 people and including informal interviews.
Volunteer matched to a compatible older person who will be aged 65+ with limited or no family or friends in their network, resulting in them being isolated and feeling lonely.
Befriending schedule agreed and role begins.
Time to Talk Befriending
- Older People
- Supporting People and Befriending
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Health and Safety
- Insurance Cover for Volunteers
When: 01/11/2017 - 01/05/2018
This opportunity is available
More Opportunities from Time to Talk Befriending
There are no more opportunities from this organisation.